Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Gotta have a Frittata




Lately I have grown tired of my usual breakfast foods. While brainstorming some possible alternatives, my mind drifted to a dish that my mom makes every year for Christmas morning. Quiche. Immediately following the cherished memories that I associate with her quiche, came the recollection of the ingredients that make up the savory pie- heavy cream, cheese, bacon, and buttery crust. Those ingredients can easily be compiled into one group- fat. Many people are fooled by the light, fluffy texture of quiche thinking that it is light in terms of dietary concerns. It is actually just the opposite; an average restaurant slice of quiche lorraine (bacon and swiss cheese) ranges from 700-1000 calories. That is not the way that I want to start my day, so I decided to create an alternative. Since much of the fat and calories is provided in the crust of quiche, I opted to make a frittata, which is basically a crustless quiche. I replaced the heavy cream with greek yogurt (so typical of me), swapped full fat cheese for low fat, and substituted turkey sausage in place of the bacon. I also chose to use egg beaters instead of whole eggs. Although I used turkey sausage and onion as my fillings, I cannot wait to recreate this recipe using chopped fresh vegetables. Feel free to experiment with different meats and veggies of your liking, or whatever you may have in your refrigerator. This was delicious and exactly what I need to change up my morning routine a bit. The frittata is full of protein which will help keep you full for longer.

Also, if you have been to my blog before, I hope you noticed my new layout. I designed the cartoon of me and my hobbies. Tracey of Little Bitty Blogs did an amazing job designing the rest of the blog. I am so excited that it finally looks the way I had originally envisioned it.

Low Fat Frittata
serves 4

Ingredients
4 turkey sausage patties, chopped
2 tbsp chopped onion
3/4 cup egg beaters
1/4 cup 0% fat-free greek yogurt
1/2 cup fat-free shredded cheese, divided
salt and pepper to taste

  1. Spray a 10" cast-iron or oven-safe skillet with cooking spray.
  2. Saute sausage and onion over medium heat until onion softens.
  3. In a medium bowl, mix together egg beaters, greek yogurt, salt, and pepper.
  4. Pour egg mixture over sausage and onion. Add 1/4 cup of cheese.
  5. Stir to mix, then let cook over medium heat for about 5-7 minutes. The bottom will set but the top will still be runny.
  6. Sprinkle the rest of the cheese in the skillet. Place the skillet in the oven and broil for 5 minutes until the cheese is golden and bubbly.
Nutrition: 120 calories, 3g carbohydrate, 18g protein, 4g fat

Photobucket

0 comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

About Lauren

Photobucket

Nutrition student with a passion for giving yummy recipes a healthy make-over. Future RD on a constant search for the best food finds. And new blogger trying to relay my tasty ideas to everyone else.

Contact Me

Please feel free to email me with any questions, suggestions, or comments at lamandle88@gmail.com. I would love to hear from you.

Check out my new blog

Labels

Blog Design By

Photobucket

Get Connected

Powered by Blogger.

Followers